War Memorials Listed in the East of England Ahead of Armistice Day
Ahead of Armistice Day, 10 First World War memorials in Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk have been listed by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, on the advice of Historic England.
Most of the war memorials also have plaques commemorating those lost during the Second World War.
War memorial at St Michael's Church, Bishop Stortford (Grade II listed)
The war memorial at St Michael’s Church in Bishop’s Stortford features an ornately carved 15th-century lantern cross which previously stood at the south of the church.
The lantern cross was removed around 1643 and stored in a number of places, including under the church floor and in the belfry, until it was repurposed as a war memorial in the early-20th century and re-erected north of the church.
The war memorial, dedicated to 38 men of the parish who lost their lives in the First World War, was paid for by public subscription and unveiled on 23 June 1920.
Barnham war memorial, Thetford (Grade II listed)
Barnham War Memorial was created in 1919 as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 19 men of the parish who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial, made by stonemason R H Hall, was unveiled on 28 August 1919. The ceremony was attended by Mrs Fitzhugh, wife of the Rector of Barnham, who dedicated the memorial.
Following the Second World War a further plaque was added to commemorate the three men from the parish who died during that conflict.
Worlington war memorial, Suffolk (Grade II listed)
Worlington War Memorial was erected by H G Neville and Sons and was unveiled on Thursday 4 March 1920 by Major-General the Honourable J E Lindley.
The white marble memorial features an obelisk with a three-tiered pedestal on a concrete plinth.
The memorial is engraved with the names of 12 men from the village who lost their lives during the First World War together with 33 men who served and returned from that conflict.
The names of the two parishioners who lost their lives during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.
Kedington war memorial, Suffolk (Grade II listed)
Kedington War Memorial was the work of mason Edward Coote Green. Green’s 18-year-old son William Frank was killed in action in France in 1918 and is memorialised on another of his father’s memorials at Haverhill, which is also listed at Grade II.
Dedicated to 18 local men who lost their lives in the First World War, the war memorial at Kedington consists of an octagonal shaft, pedestal and base, with relief-carved roses on the arms of the cross.
Kedington war memorial was unveiled on Sunday 20 March 1921 by Brigadier-General J A Coxhead CB and dedicated by Reverend Canon G Perry. It stands in a prominent position in the churchyard, to the south of the Grade I listed Church of St Peter and St Paul.
Stoke-by-Clare war memorial, Sudbury, Suffolk (Grade II listed)
Stoke-by-Clare war memorial is located in the garden of the former village primary school.
It commemorates the 107 local men who served in the First World War. Of those who served, 27 are known to have lost their lives in service, while 80 served and returned.
The memorial was dedicated by the Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich and unveiled by Field Marshal Sir William R Robertson, Bart., GCB, GCMG, KCVO, DSO on 23 January 1921. One of the most important British Officers of the Great War, he was the only soldier to rise from private to Field Marshal and Chief of the Imperial General Staff – the head of the British Army.
Following the Second World War the names of three local men who fell in that conflict were added to the memorial.
Wortham war memorial, Suffolk (Grade II listed)
The war memorial at Wortham, a Latin cross on a stepped base, is situated in the grounds of St Mary’s Church.
It was built by J Cooley and Son and was unveiled on 24 July 1921 by Brigadier-General Lord Playfair CVO and dedicated by Rev J F E Fanning.
It commemorates 35 local men who lost their lives in the First World War. The names of three parishioners who lost their lives during the Second World War were subsequently added.
Woodbridge war memorial, Suffolk (Grade II listed)
Woodbridge war memorial is located in the Memorial Garden on Market Hill in Woodbridge.
Built by Mr A C Stephenson, it takes the form of a limestone Latin cross on a polished black granite octagonal column, resting on a plinth with a three-stepped base.
The memorial in Woodbridge was unveiled on either 7 or 11 November 1920 by the Right Honourable the Earl of Stradbroke and is dedicated to the eight local men who lost their lives in the First World War. More names were added after the Second World War.
Hilgay war memorial, Downham Market, Norfolk (Grade II listed)
Hilgay war memorial, a simple Latin cross, stands in a prominent position in the village and commemorates 38 local men who lost their lives during the First World War.
Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate eight servicemen who died in that conflict.
In the late-20th century, the worn inscriptions on the base were covered with new inscription plaques. Hilgay war memorial was restored and rededicated earlier this year.
Aylmerton war memorial, Norfolk (Grade II listed)
Aylmerton war memorial, a Latin cross with a carved sword and laurel wreath, is situated in the churchyard of Grade II* listed St John the Baptist Church.
The memorial was constructed in 1921 by Major H N Bridgewater as a testament to the sacrifices made by the local community and four local men who lost their lives in the First World War, and was dedicated by the rector, Reverend F H Matthews.
The names of five local men who served and died in the Second World War were later added to the memorial.
Hunsdon war memorial, East Hertfordshire (Grade II listed)
Hunsdon War Memorial, featuring a granite Celtic wheel-head cross, was created by Mr C Smith in the memory of 18 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
It was unveiled on 21 November 1921 and dedicated by Bishop Hodges. Historic photographs show that it was once enclosed by low posts and chains, but these have since been removed.
A plaque later added to the memorial commemorates seven local people who died in the Second World War.