About the Research Reports Database
On this page you can find out more about the focus and scope of the research reports database and get links to further research resources.
The focus of our research
We carry out and fund high-quality applied research to support the protection and management of the historic environment. Our research programme is wide-ranging and both national and local in scope, with projects that highlight new discoveries and provide greater understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of our historic places.
Our current research focuses on:
- Researching and investigating historic buildings, sites, landscapes and areas to inform conservation and repair, and to increase understanding and appreciation
- Identifying and recording sites to guide future planning decisions
- Looking at the performance of historic buildings and the best ways of conserving their physical fabric
Research into the opportunities and threats facing the historic environment Understanding the social and economic value of heritage
The Scope of the research reports database
Our historic environment research reports includes work we have funded other organisations to carryout on our behalf, as well as work carried out by our own staff. There are over 7,000 reports going back to 1985.
The research project topics span:
- Early Prehistory
- Industrial heritage and infrastructure Military heritage
- Archaeological sites and landscapes
- Coastal, marine and maritime heritage
- Faith and commemorative heritage
- Urban and public realm
- A wide range of building types
- Aspects of the development of historic buildings and their function
- Heritage science including scientific dating
- Building and landscape conservation
Further research resources
Outside the scope of this database search, elsewhere we also hold reports on the following:
You can find out more about our priorities for the research we carry out or fund through our research strategy and agenda.
You can also keep up to date with highlights of our research in Historic England Research digital magazine and Latest Research pages.